Kids invited to Dream Big: Read this summer
The children’s summer reading program at the Fond du Lac Public Library this year – Dream Big: Read – will encourage kids to imagine their wildest adventures through the magic of reading. Kids ages birth to 12 can sign up starting June 4 at the Main Library or FDLPL Express, near Festival Foods.
Kids get credit for the time they spend reading (or being read to) and doing literacy-building activities such as writing book reviews or drawing pictures about what they’ve read. During the summer, they can complete up to eight reading records and turn them in weekly for rewards. Children who finish five or more reading records can pick out a new book. The program ends on August 18.
Throughout the summer, the library will host a variety of great programs to keep kids interested and entertained. All programs are held at the Main Library and are free; some require tickets and/or registration. For more information, visit the Kids Calendar or call the Children’s Desk at (920) 929-7080, ext. 127.
Mondays on the Moon: Mondays at 2:30 p.m. Free tickets required and are available the Tuesday before from the Children’s Desk at the Main Library.
- June 25: Soda Pups Show. Peppy Pomeranians perform feats of agility.
- July 2: Pint Size Polkas. Learn Wisconsin’s official state dance.
- July 9: Rondini. See Trixie the bunny appear and disappear and more feats of magic.
- July 16: Incredible Live Bats. See these amazing creatures up close.
- July 23: Miller and Mike. Former clowns from Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus perform.
- July 30: Casey and Greg. Madison musicians perform high-energy songs.
Lego Club: Tuesdays June 26-July 24, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Kids ages 9-12 invited each week to build, build, build. All materials provided. No adults or younger siblings may attend. Registration required for each weekly session.
Paws to Read: Wednesdays June 27-July 25, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Read one-on-one to certified therapy dogs to build reading skills and confidence. Registration required at www.fdlpl.org/calendar/kids or by calling (920) 929-7080, ext. 127.
Dream Big Family Storytime: Thursdays June 28-July 26, 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. All ages invited to storytime fun with a rockin’, foot-stompin’ beat. With stories, puppets, music and lots of movement. 2 year olds & younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Dream Big at Your Library: A different challenge each week inside the Children’s Room.
- June 4-9: Glow in the dark guessing contest
- June 11-16: Vote for your favorite bedtime story
- June 18-23: Lego guessing contest
- June 25-30: Where in the universe is Browser?
- July 2-7: What Goes Bump in the Night writing contest
- July 9-14: Can you spot it?
- July 16-21: Can you name the constellations?
- July 23-28: Create fluffy sheep for Browser to count
For more information about the kids’ summer reading program, call the Children’s Desk at (920) 929-7080, ext. 127.