What is the Scrabble Bee?
Teams of up to four people play Scrabble (with a twist) for fun and prizes.
Where and when?
Tuesday, Sept 27, 2016, at Moraine Park Technical College, 235 N National Ave, FDL. Registration & free pizza 5-6 pm; game starts at 6 pm.
How does it work?
- Teams work together to get the most number of points in two rounds (20-min & 15-min).
- Prizes go to the two highest-scoring teams in each level.
- Each team gets a regulation Scrabble board & bag of 100 tiles. Standard Scrabble rules apply.
- Each team gets a starting word at the beginning of each round. The starting word must be placed on the board with the first letter on the center square.
- The twist: In round 2, 10 tiles will be removed at random from each team. Tiles can be purchased back for $2 per tile.
- Also: Using the name of a Scrabble Bee sponsor is allowed (even though it's a proper noun), and you'll get 50 extra points. Sponsor names will be provided at the event.
- Three dictionaries will be used during the game (and will be available up to two times per round per team): 4th Edition Scrabble Players Dictionary (for words up to seven letters long), Miriam-Webster's 10th Edition Collegiate Dictionary (for words eight letters and longer) and the Scrabble Players Dictionary app. No bonus points will be given for words seven letters long and longer.
- Teams are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the scoring rules
What does it cost?
$60 for a team of up to four players.
How do I sign up?
Print, fill out & return this form.