What is the Scrabble Bee?
Teams of up to three people play Scrabble (with a twist) for fun and prizes.
Where and when?
Thursday, Oct 3, in the FDL Library's McLane Room. Registration at 5:30 pm; game starts at 6 pm.
How does it work?
- Teams work together to get the most number of points in two, 15-minute rounds, with a short break between the rounds.
- Prizes go to the three highest-scoring teams.
- Each team gets a regulation Scrabble board & bag of 100 tiles. Standard Scrabble rules apply.
- Each team gets a starting word at the beginning of each round. The starting word must be placed on the board with the first letter on the center square.
- Here's the twist: In round 2, 10 tiles will be removed at random from each team. Tiles can be purchased back for $5 per tile.
- Also: Using the name of a Scrabble Bee sponsor is allowed (even though it's a proper noun), and the word score is doubled. Sponsor names will be provided at the event.
- The official dictionaries for the game are 4th Edition Scrabble Players Dictionary (for words up to seven letters long) and Merriam-Webster's 10th Edition Collegiate Dictionary (for words eight letters and longer).
- Teams are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the complete rules.
What does it cost?
Each team must pledge a minimum of $30. Register online.