Upcycled Glam Contest
Upcycled Glam, for students in middle and high school in Fond du Lac County, challenges teens to create a special-occasion outfit (prom, Easter, graduation, etc.) that uses a combination of upcycled clothing (thrift store, hand-me-down, found) and upcycled pages from books or magazines.
Contestants are invited to participate in an Upcycled Glam-themed Crafternoon program at 1 pm Saturday, March 15. Registration for the free program starts at 9 am Saturday, March 1, at the Calendar.
Entries are due on April 1, 2014, and will be judged by a VIP panel. The winner will receive a new, latest-model iPad.
Entries will be put on display in the library's Langdon Divers Gallery in May 2014, and the designs will be shared on the library's website, Facebook and Twitter accounts and with the local media.
Rules and guidelines
1. Eligibility. Upcycled Glam is open to middle school and high school students, including home-school students, who attend school in FDL County. FDLPL employees and members of their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
2. How to enter:
- The contest will begin on Sept. 20, 2013, and end at noon April 1, 2014.
- To enter, create a special-occasion outfit (prom, Easter, graduation, etc.) that uses a combination of upcycled clothing (thrift store, hand-me-down, found) and upcycled pages from books or magazines. Designs also may incorporate items typically found in a craft store to complete the look. You may enter the contest as many times as you like.
- To enter, send the following in full either by email to [email protected] or by mail to Terri Fleming, FDLPL, 32 Sheboygan St, Fond du Lac WI 54935, no later than noon April 1, 2014:
- Photos of your outfit
- Age & grade
- Phone number
- Email address
- City of residence
- Description: Including materials used, construction method, where you got your upcycled items and total cost
3. Photos. All entries must be accompanied by a photograph (digital for email; hard copy for mail). If the design is being worn by a model, please identify the model. All entry photos become the property of the Fond du Lac Public Library, and none will be returned.
4. Free materials. Contestants are eligible to receive five free books or 10 free magazines from the FDLPL BookCellar (some restrictions apply) any time after Sept. 20, 2013. To receive the BookCellar voucher, email [email protected]. BookCellar materials are to be used in the design.
5. Deadline for entries is noon April 1, 2014. Mail entries must be postmarked by April 1, 2014, and received no later than April 5, 2014.
6. On display. All garments/creations entered in the contest (not just the photos) will be placed on display at the library in May 2014. Entrants will be notified where and when to drop off their creations.
7. Judging. A panel of qualified judges selected by FDLPL will judge entries based on: 40% overall design; 25% use of upcycled materials; 20% cost (the lower the better); 15% creativity. Results – including photos of the winner(s) – will be shared on www.fdlpl.org, in press releases distributed to regional media outlets, on the FDLPL website and on FDLPL’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
8. Prizes. One Grand Prize Winner will receive a new, latest-edition iPad.
For more information, contact Terri Fleming at the Fond du Lac Public Library: (920) 322-3921 or [email protected]